Eggplant Caprese Salad Ingredients
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 1 pound eggplant
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup coarsely snipped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 7- to 8-ounce balls fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 large heirloom tomatoes, such as Brandywine, cored and thinly sliced
- Coarse salt
- Ground black pepper
- Small fresh basil leaves
- In a small bowl combine boiling water and dried tomatoes. Let stand for 20 minutes. Drain, discarding water; chop tomatoes.
- Trim stem and blossom ends of eggplant;cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place slices on a baking sheet; brush both sides of slices generously with the 3 tablespoons oil and sprinkle evenly with the 1 teaspoon salt and the 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place eggplant slices on the rack of a covered grill directly over medium heat. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes or until slightly charred and tender, turning once halfway through grilling. Transfer grilled slices to a clean plate and let cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor or blender combine dried tomatoes, the snipped basil, the 1/4 cup oil, and the vinegar. Cover and process or blend until finely chopped.
- On a large platter arrange eggplant slices, mozzarella cheese slices, and tomato slices, overlapping slices. Sprinkle lightly with coarse salt and pepper. Spoon dried tomato mixture on top. Garnish with basil leaves. Serve at room temperature.
Avocado Banana Pancake Stacks Recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 salt
- 1 ripe Fresh Hass avocado, halved, peeled, pitted and cubed, divided
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and sliced, divided
- 1 cup reduced fat milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Non-stick cooking spray
- In a medium bowl mix together all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a blender, combine half of the avocado pieces, half of the banana slices, milk, eggs and vanilla; puree until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just combined; batter may be lumpy.
- Spray a griddle or skillet with nonstick spray and heat over medium heat.
- Pour 1/4 cup of batter for each 4-inch pancake. Cook until bottom is lightly brown and bubbles begin to burst, about 2 minutes. Turn and continue cooking until golden brown. Serve warm with remaining avocados, bananas and syrup or other favorite toppings.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Vidalia onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 bunches spinach, stemmed and chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper,1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
In a medium saute pan over medium-high heat, melt butter and then add the olive oil.
- Mix in the onions and garlic; cook for 2 minutes until soft. Add the chopped spinach and warm through.
Add the salt, nutmeg and the heavy cream. Mix well. Cook until liquid reduces by half, roughly 3 to 4 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen, 2008
“Eggplant Caprese Salad.” Better Homes & Gardens. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Oct. 2015. <http://www.bhg.com/recipe/eggplant-caprese-salad/?socsrc=bhgpin051613grilledeggplant&crlt.pid=camp.E6u06WAGAx9w>.
“Avocado Banana Pancake Stacks Recipe :: Hass Avocado Recipes, Fresh Avocado Recipe.” Avocado Banana Pancake Stacks Recipe. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Oct. 2015. <http://www.avocadocentral.com/avocado-recipes/avocado-banana-pancake-stacksd>.
“Creamed Spinach : Paula Deen : Food Network.” Creamed Spinach Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Oct. 2015. <http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/creamed-spinach-recipe2.html>.